Dating in brighton and hove
There are entries for Brighton and Portslade (Bristelmestune and Porteslage) and small downland settlements like Hangleton (Hangetone), but nothing for the location of Hove itself.Hove is an ancient coastal settlement with St Andrew's Church being established in the 12th century.Although within Hove parish the residents of these elegant houses studiously avoided the name of the impoverished village a mile to the west as an address.Straggling development along the coast loosely connected the estate to fashionable Brighton, so that name was used instead.Due to spiralling demand a large new works was opened in Shoreham Harbour at Portslade-by-Sea in 1871, and by 1885 all gas manufacture in Brighton and Hove had been transferred there.
Hangleton Manor is a well-preserved 16th-century flint manor building. 1540 for Richard Bel(l)ingham, twice High Sheriff of Sussex, whose initials are carved into a fireplace, and whose coat of arms adorns a period plaster ceiling.Being situated in Hove it avoided the duty of £1 per 8 tons levied on coal by the Brighton Town Act of 1773.A gasworks built east of Brighton in 1819, and therefore similarly exempt, was supplied by sailing brigs grounding at high tide, the crew tipping the coal down chutes into horse-drawn carts then re-floating on the next tide.Hove is bordered by Brighton to the east and Portslade-by-Sea in the west, the distance between the boundaries being some 2.25 mi (3.75 km).During mid 19th-century building work near Palmeira Square, workmen levelled a substantial burial mound.
This method, inherently dirty and disruptive, would have been used at Hove until the arrival of the railway in 1840.